Sunday 27 November 2016

School (and the things we all did)



I am so sorry for how long it's been since I last posted, I wanna say I've been a bit busy and it wouldn't strictly be a lie buuut it hasn't exactly stopped me from posting so it'd be a bad excuse! Anyway for this post, I'm going to be going down memory lane once more and delving into things we all did in secondary school!


    1. Walking into school one morning and your mate reminds you about that piece of homework you had to do and having a mad rush to either get the work done or think of a good excuse. An alternative to this was definitely spending the lesson praying the teacher and the teacher's pet also forgot about the work!

    1.  Getting home from school and logging into msn as fast as possible.. just to speak to the same people you've seen all day at school, and who can forget the prehistoric facetime that was webcam chat.

    1.  Speaking of msn.. did anyone else put ALL of their friends in their PM in order of their faves and then either demoting people that you're in a mood with to a really crap emoticon or just full on taking them off your name!

    1.  Also... remember the dark age before Facebook and we had Myspace? Yep, before the days of captioning photos with song lyrics or emoji's.. we had 'comment 4 comment' and top 10 friends

    1.  Every time you had a substitute teacher.. it was kind of standard practice to wind them up a bit and just give them general grief for the entire lesson! Chances were, you'd never see them again OR you'd get the over confident bloke who bantered on with the lads a bit too much and didn't really care what anyone else was getting up to.

    1.  Cooking and PE on the same day? NIGHTMARE! Not only did you have to carry your PE-kit as well as your school bag (which was obviously fully equipped with a full pencil case and god knows what else you thought you needed for school) but now you had to carry all of your cooking stuff too which sometimes included massive casserole dishes as well as ingredients. This is even worse when you don't have lockers to dump your things in till the specific lesson.

    1.  Also.. was it just my food tech teacher that would bring the entire class round the table to talk about what we've done, just before it was time to take our things out of the oven? I swear, I was nearly always 20 seconds away from having black scones!

    1. It can't have just been our PE teachers either that had ZERO sympathy for us. Cold day? 'get out there, it's not even cold'. Hardly able to breath when on your 2/3 laps of the massive running track? 'If you don't go any faster Hayley, I'll make you do an extra lap'. Someone hits you in the foot full force with a hockey ball? 'you should've worn more appropriate shoes, rather than plimsolls', They had zero empathy, letting us freeze while they've got a massive hoody on or a rain coat.

    1.  When there was always a rumour going about that 2 of your teachers were seeing each other. Turns out, ours actually were, They got married a couple of years ago!

    1. Being asked to hand out the text books and giving the people you liked least the scabbiest one. Not only that, and I don't know if it was just in our school, but writing or following people instructions in the textbooks e.g. 'go to page 184' and following it to end up on a page that said something so daft like 'If you read this, you suck' or other, less pleasant, variations.

    1. Your mum buying you a uniform a size or two too big so it'll last longer. Fortunately, we changed to the fetching blazers in my photos in like year 10 and I wasn't doing much growing so mum actually got me the right size!

    1. Finishing  an exam and discussing answers with your friend only to realise that one of you got it spectacularly wrong cause she got 82 and you got 28... This was such a regular occurrence for me, absolute nightmare!

    1. Highlighting anything and everything when the teacher said 'highlight the key bits' because in your head, the colour of William the conqueror's top was a key factor in the beginning of the battle of Hastings.. Obviously…

    1. Trying to catch your friends eye during an exam, not to cheat.. No of course not, it was to pull funny faces at them!

    1. All running to the designated fight place as soon as you heard there was gonna be one! Ours was a 'swirly' (not anymore) hill down the road from school, just far enough that people thought the teachers wouldn't get involved.. They always did though, as soon as there was a whiff of the entire school running to swirly hill!

    1. Now a lesson with a supply teacher was NEVER complete without winding them up something rotten! There was one teacher who was a regular supply at our school and he had my class for English, I spent the best part of the lesson arguing with him that he was attempting to teach us the wrong thing.. I wasn’t even lying, he was trying to teach us something we learned in year 8 so it was for the year 8 class he'd have that day.. Definitely not us! He was so used to the winding up that he didn't believe me until he actually checked the lesson plan our teacher had left for him!

    1. When your teacher sends to go and get something from another class or part of the school so you just walk as slowly as possible and do anything to stay out of the class for as long as possible! What was better was when you got to go into your friends class and speak to them while you're 'on a  message'

    1. Did anyone elses PE teacher whinge on about everything? Spraying deodorant, drinking lucozade, eating generally unhealthy foods… cause mine did so often!

    1. Using any slight injury to go to the medical room and get out of lessons! Now this is something I did so often, once I got kicked in the knee by a boy in english class and I properly played on it, asked my teacher if one of my friends could take me to the medical room and limped the entire way there in case any teachers saw!

    1. Lastly, I know for a fact that this wasn't just me and my friends or my school - Using music and art lessons as a general fuck-about. Art was more so for me because I did it longer than I di music but they were literally an hour of doing the bare minimum work and just messing on! We used to dance about in the art cupboard while pretending we needed supplies or sitting in the other part of the art room where our teacher rarely went pretending we were using the projector or something.. Little tinkers we were!

    So that has been school and the things we all did.. Perhaps not everyone but I know plenty of people did do these things and of course we found ourselves hilarious, thought we were mint the lot, what a scream! Let me know if there's things on here that you didn’t do or maybe there are things you did that aren't on the list, I wanna know!!







Hayl xo
You can also find me on

No comments:

Post a Comment