Monday 10 November 2014

Fandoms.. Calm down!

*Disclaimer* This post is really long, if you'd rather you can come back next week for a happier post! this post hasn't been made to offend, single out or be mean, all opinions are my own (unless specified) and I am fully entitled to say what I want.. Just saying!

Now this is a subject I am always thinking about and I've decided to write this post because I just want my opinion known! As you can see by the title I'm going to talk about fandoms. Don't get me wrong this wont apply to every fan but there are still huge amounts of people that it will! There will also be links to everything I talk about on here at the bottom of the post! 

So I am a fan of many things - I love one direction, I spend about 80% of my day catching up on youtubers vlogs and I read magcon boys/viners fanfics like it's a magazine but as an 18 year old I don't find myself being a massive fangirl and it's come to my attention that there are many fans that go a step too far.

The thing that really sparked my interest was an article written about my favourite youtuber - Zoella (Zoe Sugg). Chloe Hamilton - a writer for a paper called the independent - said some particularly mean things about Zoe but what was worse was the response from Zoe's 'fans'. They wrote to the independent asking for Chloe to be fired, they threatened her and said so much worse to her than she said about Zoe. Don't get me wrong, I don't agree for one second with Chloe's article, it was unfair and clearly un-researched but at the same time, Zoe never had a reply to it, even with her anxiety I'm sure she'd rather let the mean articles go over her head which for one she can't do with her 'fans' attacking the author of the article, I also don't believe that she would be happy with her fans doing that either it's not nice and if she doesn't seem bothered then why should we be especially to the extent of threatening others and being rude! The same goes for fans of anyone, if something mean is said they can deal with it, most of them are adults and see a lot of criticism as a fan you just need to be there to support your 'idol'. 

The next thing I'd like to point out is stalking them, again Zoe is a good example of this (so is Liam from one direction and probably loads more), people found out where she lived and actually waited outside her house, and I don't know how, I couldn't ever do that for one I'd feel so cheeky and intrusive but like I know I'd feel extremely uncomfortable if people knew where I lived and waited, and you shouldn't have to feel uncomfortable in your own home, its ridiculous! I've even heard Louis had to get a panic room fitted in case it gets that bad like people shouldn't be worried to such an extreme extent it's so unfair!

Another point is an extremely recent one like since yesterday, Gabby from the channel 'velvet ghost' made a video on her vlog channel about how people have been so nasty about her when she appears in videos with Zoe (Zoella) (who she's close friends with) that she doesn't want to be included in a vlog if she's with Zoe because it's that bad! People say things like she's taking Zoe away from Louise because they're rarely together or that gabby is using Zoe to get more views, it's so unfair that people are saying things like that, we as viewers only ever see edited videos of snippets of their day, not their full life.. if it's stopping Gabby from wanting to be in videos, what if it stops them hanging out? Then a friendship is pretty much ruined, I doubt it'd get that far because they wouldn't let it but what if it did? Zoe made a blog post about the matter too which basically reinforces what gabby says in her video, similarly Alfie mentioned it in a video too!

Lastly I hate the fact that people send the girlfriend of their favourite popstar hate mail. Back in the day when Cher Lloyd was rumoured to be dating Nathan Sykes from the wanted, she got death threats in the mail, similarly Barbara Palvin was getting hate mail from directioners when she was dating Niall Horan, I personally kept up with this relationship because as you probably know, I am shamelessly in love with Niall Horan. One day (ages after their split) I was just scouring through the Internet and an article came up about how she was still getting hate mail over 6 month from the split! Now the two examples I have do just happen to be people from bands that I loved and in both cases I was on the side of the fans because I loved Nathan and Niall but I'd never go so far to sit and write nasty messages to their partners because its nasty and not fair to them at all and imagine if you ever met them and they realised it was you sending mail, they wouldn't like you would they? Not only that but imagine being in the place of the people getting hate mail, it'd be awful.. I wouldn't want to do anything in public and what sort of life or relationship is that? If you have done anything like this please just take time to consider what you did and how it would affect anyone involved!

So that's it, I'm sorry if its a bit too long and serious but its just something that's been on my mind for ages and this is the best forum to get it out there! If you have anything to say on the matter, you know if you agree or disagree then tell me, but don't be mean, this is just my opinion, I'm not forcing it on anyone nor am I forcing you to read this post, I'll see you next week with a happier post! I hope you all have a nice week!

As promised here are the links:
Chloe's first post for the independent - 'Of course girls need role models but not like zoella'
Chloe's post about the response to the post - 'what it's like to be at the centre of a Zoella Twitterstorm'
Gabby's video - 'Lets Clear This Up'
Zoe's Blog post - 'Why I stopped Daily Vlogging'
Alfie's Video (It's right at the end though) - 'You need to calm down' 

Hayl xo

You can also find me on:
FacebookTumblrTwitterInstagram

No comments:

Post a Comment